You are going to travel to Porto-Vecchio, we tell you everything !
Everything you need to know to make the most of your trip to Porto-Vecchio !
Good to know before going on a trip to Porto-Vecchio in Corsica
Before leaving on a trip to Porto-Vecchio in Corsica, here is some useful information to know :
Access: Porto-Vecchio is located in the south-east of Corsica. You can get there by plane, landing at Figari-Sud Corse airport, located about 25 kilometers from the city. It is also possible to reach Porto-Vecchio by ferry from the mainland or other Mediterranean islands.
- Climate: Porto-Vecchio enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and mild winters. Summer temperatures can reach around 30°C, while winter temperatures generally stay around 10-15°C. It is advisable to check the weather spies before your departure.
- Accommodation: Porto-Vecchio offers a wide range of accommodation, such as hotels, holiday residences, campsites and seasonal rentals. It is recommended to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the high summer season, to have a greater choice.
- Beaches: Porto-Vecchio is renowned for its magnificent beaches
- Activities: In addition to enjoying the beaches, there are many activities to do in Porto-Vecchio. You can explore the historic center of the city, visit the citadel and the Chapel of the Trinity, hike in the surrounding mountains, practice water sports such as windsurfing and kayaking, or go on a boat trip to discover the Lavezzi Islands.
- Gastronomy: Do not miss to taste the Corsican culinary specialties during your stay in Porto-Vecchio. You can taste dishes based on local products such as sheep’s cheese, Corsican charcuterie, seafood and Corsican wines.
- Vehicle rental: To explore the region in complete freedom, it can be practical to rent a vehicle. You can choose from various car rental agencies in Porto-Vecchio to find the one that best suits your needs.
With this information in mind, you are ready to enjoy your trip to Porto-Vecchio in Corsica. Remember to check local regulations
How to get to Corsica and Porto-Vecchio ?
To get to Corsica and Porto-Vecchio, you have several options :
By plane: The nearest airport to Porto-Vecchio is the Figari-Sud Corse airport, located about 25 kilometers from the city. Many airlines offer direct or stopover flights to Figari from various French and European cities. Once at the airport, you can take a taxi, rent a car or use the shuttle services to reach Porto-Vecchio.
- By ferry: If you prefer to travel by ferry, several companies provide regular connections between Corsica and the French mainland as well as other Mediterranean islands. The main ports of arrival in Corsica are Bastia, Ajaccio and Porto-Vecchio. You can take a ferry from Marseille, Nice, Toulon, Genoa, Livorno and other ports. Crossing times vary depending on your departure point.
- By car: If you prefer to drive, you can take the ferry with your own car from the mainland to Corsica. Once in Corsica, you can take the national roads to reach Porto-Vecchio. The distance from Bastia is about 150 kilometers and from Ajaccio about 170 kilometers. make sure you check the driving conditions in Corsica, especially the winding roads and sections of mountain road.
- By public transport: Corsica has a network of public transport, including buses and trains, which allow you to travel between the different towns and villages. You can take a bus from Bastia or Ajaccio to Porto-Vecchio. However, it is important to note that services may be less frequent outside of peak tourist season.
Whichever transport option you choose, it is recommended to plan and book in advance, during peak tourist periods. Also check timetables and availability to ensure a hassle-free trip to Porto-Vecchio
What is the weather like in Porto-Vecchio in Corsica ?
The weather in Porto-Vecchio, Corsica, is characterized by a Mediterranean climate. Here is an overview of typical weather conditions throughout the year :
- Spring (March to May): Temperatures begin to rise gradually, with highs generally reaching between 16°C and 20°C. Rainfall is limited, with occasional showers.
- Summer (June to August): This is the hottest season in Porto-Vecchio, with maximum temperatures reaching 30°C or more during the day. The nights are generally mild and pleasant. Rainfall is rare during this period, with long sunny days.
- Autumn (September to November): Temperatures begin to gradually decrease, with highs oscillating between 20°C and 25°C in September, then between 15°C and 20°C in November. Rainfall increases slightly during this season.
- Winter (December to February): Temperatures are cooler during the winter, with highs generally between 10°C and 15°C. Nights can be chilly, with temperatures around 5°C. Precipitation is more frequent, but there are also sunny days.
It is important to note that weather conditions can vary from year to year, so it is best to consult the weather netizens
Where to sleep in Porto-Vecchio ?
Campsite U Stabiacciu : Located a few kilometers from downtown Porto-Vecchio, this campsite offers spacious pitches for tents, caravans and motorhomes. You will also find fully equipped mobile homes and bungalows. The campsite has a swimming pool, a restaurant and offers activities for the whole family.
Discover more campsites in South Corsica.
When to go for a stay in Porto-Vecchio in Corsica ?
The best time to go for a stay in Porto-Vecchio, in Corsica, is generally between the months of May and September. During this period, you can enjoy the region’s Mediterranean climate, with pleasant temperatures and generous sunshine.
Here is an overview of the different seasons in Porto-Vecchio :
- Spring (May-June): Temperatures begin to warm up, with sunny days and mild temperatures ideal for outdoor activities. It is also a less marked period, which will allow you to enjoy the beaches and tourist sites without too many crowds.
- Summer (July-August): This is the most touristic period in Porto-Vecchio, with high temperatures and strong sunshine. The beaches are very popular, but you can also enjoy water sports and lively evenings. Remember to book your accommodation in advance, as availability may be limited.
- Autumn (September-October): Temperatures remain pleasant, with fewer crowds compared to the high summer season. This is an ideal time to enjoy the beaches and explore the region, while benefiting from a calmer atmosphere.
It is important to note that the weather can vary from year to year
What are the must-see places to visit in Porto-Vecchio in Corsica ?
During your stay in Porto-Vecchio in Corsica, you will not fail to discover several unmissable places. Here are some suggestions :
- The old town of Porto-Vecchio: Stroll through the cobbled streets of the old town, discover its charming squares and historic buildings. Don’t miss the citadel and enjoy the panoramic view from its ramparts.
- The beaches of Porto-Vecchio: The region is full of magnificent beaches of fine sand and turquoise water. Among the most famous are Palombaggia Beach and Santa Giulia Beach, renowned for their natural beauty.
- The Lavezzi Islands: Take a boat trip to the Lavezzi Islands, an archipelago located south of Porto-Vecchio. You will discover unspoiled landscapes, secluded coves and exceptional marine fauna for snorkeling.
- The needles of Bavella: Located near Porto-Vecchio, the needles of Bavella offer spectacular mountainous landscapes. Hike the trails and enjoy panoramic views of rocky peaks and verdant valleys.
- The Gulf of Porto-Vecchio: Explore the magnificent Gulf of Porto-Vecchio by boat or kayak. You can admire the limestone cliffs, secluded coves and crystal clear waters of the area.
- Nature hikes: The Porto-Vecchio region offers many hiking trails, including the famous GR20. recovered wild and unspoiled landscapes, from pine forests to rugged mountains.
Do not forget to find out about opening hours, prices and access conditions before visiting these places. Take advantage of your stay in Porto-Vecchio to discover the
What are the culinary specialties in Porto-Vecchio ?
Porto-Vecchio, in Corsica, offers a rich culinary tradition offered at the forefront of Mediterranean flavors and local products. Here are some of the culinary specialties that you can taste during your stay in Porto-Vecchio :
- Brocciu: This is a typically Corsican fresh cheese, made from sheep’s or goat’s milk. Brocciu can be eaten plain, but it is also used in many Corsican cuisine recipes.
- Corsican charcuterie: Among the emblematic charcuterie of the region, we find lonzu (dried and lightly smoked pork tenderloin), prisuttu (dried ham), figatellu (pork liver sausage) and coppa (dried pork shoulder and salty).
- Zucchini fritters: Prepared with grated zucchini, flour, eggs and aromatic herbs, these fritters are a specialty of the region. They are usually served as a starter or side dish.
- Cannelloni with brocciu: These delicious pastas stuffed with brocciu, spinach or meat are baked in a gratin and are a typical dish of Corsican cuisine.
- Corsican desserts: Do not miss tasting the sweet specialties of the region, such as fiadone (custard with brocciu and lemon), canistrelli (dry almond or citrus biscuits) and Corsican apple fritters.
- Corsican wines: Corsica is renowned for its quality wines. Take advantage of your stay in Porto-Vecchio to taste Corsican wines, such as AOC Corse red wine, Vermentinu white wine or Sciaccarellu rosé wine.
During your stay in Porto-Vecchio, do not hesitate to discover the restaurants
What are the best things to do in Porto-Vecchio ?
In Porto-Vecchio, in Corsica, you will not lack activities to enjoy your stay. Here are some of the best things to do in Porto-Vecchio :
- Beaches and swimming: The region of Porto-Vecchio is renowned for its magnificent fine sandy beaches, such as Palombaggia beach and Santa Giulia beach. Enjoy the sun and crystal clear water to relax and swim.
- Hiking: The region of Porto-Vecchio offers superb hiking trails through the unspoiled nature of Corsica. Take advantage of the Punta di a Vacca Morta trail to enjoy panoramic views of the coast and the surrounding mountains.
- Boat trips: Go on a boat trip to discover the wonders of the Gulf of Porto-Vecchio. You can explore secluded coves, nearby islands and even go scuba diving to admire the seabed.
- Visit of the old town: Stroll through the cobbled streets of the old town of Porto-Vecchio and discover its authentic charm. Don’t miss the Place de la République and the citadel, testimonies of the city’s history.
- Water sports: Take advantage of the region’s ideal conditions to practice water sports such as windsurfing, kitesurfing, kayaking or sailing.
- Discover archaeological sites: Explore nearby archaeological sites, such as the prehistoric site of Castellu d’Araggio, to learn about the ancient history of the region.
- Tasting of local products: Do not miss to taste the culinary specialties of the region, such as Corsican cheese, charcuterie and local wines. You can also visit wine estates to taste Corsican wines.
These activities will allow you to enjoy your stay in Porto-Vecchio and discover the natural and cultural beauty of the region.
What budget should you plan to go to Porto-Vecchio in Corsica ?
The budget needed to go to Porto-Vecchio in Corsica can vary depending on several factors, such as the time of year, the length of stay, the type of accommodation chosen and the mode of transport.
Here is an estimate of the budget to plan for a stay in Porto-Vecchio :
- Transport: If you are traveling by plane, plane tickets for Corsica may vary depending on the period and your place of departure. Then you will need to plan for car rental costs if you will be exploring the area next.
- Accommodation: Accommodation options in Porto-Vecchio are varied, ranging from campsites to luxury hotels. Rates may vary depending on season, accommodation category and amenities offered. If you opt for a campsite, the rates are generally more affordable.
- Meals: Restaurants in Porto-Vecchio offer a wide range of options, from gourmet restaurants to more affordable establishments. Plan a budget for meals, taking into account your preferences and the number of meals you plan to eat out.
- Activities: Some activities, such as boat trips or guided tours, may have an additional cost. Plan a budget for the activities you want to do during your stay.
- Other Expenses: Don’t forget to budget for extra expenses such as souvenirs, drinks, local transportation, and possible entrance fees for tourist sites.
- It is difficult to give an exact budget, as it will depend on your preferences and travel style. However, it will take an average budget of around 100 to 150 euros per day to cover the main costs (accommodation, meals, activities, transport).
Remember to take into account seasonal price fluctuations and book in advance to get the best rates. It is also recommended to compare prices and look for special offers to save on expenses related to your stay in Porto-Vecchio
How to get around in Corsica, in Porto-Vecchio ?
In Corsica, and more particularly in Porto-Vecchio, it is recommended to have a means of transport to move around and explore the region in complete freedom. Although Porto-Vecchio has public transport such as buses, it can be limited in terms of frequency and coverage.
The most practical and flexible solution is to rent a vehicle. You can opt for a rental car, which will allow you to easily access the various beaches, tourist sites and picturesque villages of the region. You will thus be able to plan your trips at your own pace and discover the wonders of Porto-Vecchio and its surroundings.
Our vehicle rental company is here to help you find the vehicle that best suits your needs and budget. We accept a wide range of rental cars, ranging from compact cars to off-road vehicles, station wagons and convertibles. You can reserve your vehicle in advance and pick it up as soon as you arrive at Figari-Sud Corse airport or at our rental agency in Porto-Vecchio.
It is important to note that some routes in Corsica can be winding and narrow, so it is recommended to drive with caution and obey traffic rules. Also, keep in mind that traffic can be heavier during peak tourist season, so consider a little extra travel time.
In conclusion, renting a vehicle is highly recommended to get around Porto-Vecchio and explore the beauty of Corsica. Our vehicle rental company is here to meet your needs and provide you with a reliable and convenient means of transport to enjoy your stay in Porto-Vecchio.