You are going to travel to Porto, we tell you everything !
All the information you need for a successful trip to Porto in Corsica below !
Good to know before going on a trip to Porto in Corsica
Before going on a trip to Porto in Corsica, here is some useful information to know :
Location: Porto is located on the west coast of Corsica, in the Balagne region. It is a small picturesque village bordered by the Mediterranean Sea and surrounded by wild and unspoiled nature.
- Access: Porto is accessible by car from the main cities of the island, such as Ajaccio or Calvi. You can also arrive by ferry from the mainland, especially from Marseille or Nice, and reach Porto by car.
- Outdoor activities: The region of Porto is renowned for its exceptional natural beauty. You can enjoy many outdoor activities, such as hiking in the Corsica Regional Natural Park, exploring the creeks of Piana by boat, scuba diving or discovering the natural pools of the Fango river.
- The beaches: The beaches of Porto are magnificent, with crystal clear waters and spectacular landscapes. Don’t miss Bussaglia Beach, Porto Beach and Capo Rosso Beach, which offer breathtaking views of the red cliffs.
- The Calanques de Piana: The Calanques de Piana, located near Porto, are listed as World Heritage by UNESCO. These impressive rock formations offer a unique natural spectacle, with cliffs sculpted by erosion and shimmering colors at sunset.
- The Scandola Nature Reserve: A few kilometers from Porto, you will find the Scandola Nature Reserve, a protected site where you can admire exceptional flora and fauna. Boat trips are offered
- Corsican gastronomy: Take advantage of your stay in Porto to taste the delicious Corsican cuisine. Do not miss the local specialties such as cold cuts, cheeses, brocciu (fresh cheese), fiadone (dessert made from brocciu) and of course, Corsican wines.
Don’t forget to check the weather conditions and find out about the sanitary measures in force before your trip. Take advantage of your stay in Porto to discover
How to get to Corsica and Porto ?
To get to Corsica and Porto, you have several options :
- Plane: The fastest way to get to Corsica is to fly from the French mainland or other European countries. There are direct flights to Bastia, Ajaccio and Calvi airports, which are closest to Porto. Once you arrive at the airport, you can rent a car or use public transport to reach Porto.
- Ferry: Another popular option is to take a ferry from the French mainland or Italy. There are regular connections from the ports of Marseille, Nice, Toulon and Livorno. The most common ferry companies are Corsica Ferries and La Méridionale. Ferry crossings usually last a few hours, depending on the city of departure and arrival. Once in Porto, you can explore the area by car, bus or taxi.
- Car: If you prefer to drive, you can take a ferry from Marseille or Nice with your own car. Ferry crossings with a car take about 6-8 hours. Once you arrive in Corsica, you can drive to Porto following the main roads. Be sure to check ferry schedules and book your ticket in advance.
- Train and bus: It is also possible to travel to Corsica by train or bus from certain French cities. Trains run from Paris to Marseille, where you can catch a ferry to Corsica. Long-distance buses are also available from several French cities to Corsica.
Once in Porto, you can explore the area on foot, by car or using local public transport. Renting a car can be practical for getting around and discovering the various tourist sites around Porto.
Don’t forget to check flight or ferry schedules and conditions.
What is the weather like in Porto, Corsica ?
The weather in Porto, Corsica is generally pleasant and Mediterranean. Here is some information about the typical weather in Porto :
- Summer (June-August): Temperatures are warm, with daytime averages generally reaching between 25°C and 30°C. The days are sunny and rainfall is rare. This is the period most mentioned by tourists, due to the warm weather and the ideal conditions for enjoying the sea and outdoor activities.
- Autumn (September-November): Temperatures begin to drop, but generally remain mild and pleasant. Daytime averages are between 20°C and 25°C. Precipitation increases slightly compared to summer, but sunny days are still observed. This is a less touristy time, which can provide a calmer and more peaceful atmosphere in Porto.
- Winter (December-February): Temperatures are cooler, with daytime averages around 12°C to 15°C. Nights can be colder, with temperatures around 5°C to 8°C. Precipitation is more frequent during this period, with the possibility of rain and even snow in the mountains. Tourist activities are the least numerous, but the natural beauty of the region is still present.
It is always recommended to check the weather conditions before your trip, as weather conditions can vary from year to year.
Where to sleep in Porto ?
In Porto, Corsica, there are several accommodation options, including campsites that offer an authentic, close-to-nature experience. Here are some suggestions of campsites where you can consider staying in Porto :
- Camping Les Oliviers : Nestled in a green setting, this campsite is ideal for nature lovers. You can camp under the olive trees and enjoy the tranquility of the environment. Services such as sanitary blocks, laundry facilities and a grocery store are available on site.
It is recommended to book in advance, especially during high season periods, to guarantee the availability of your pitch.
When to go for a stay in Porto in Corsica ?
The best time for a stay in Porto in Corsica depends on your personal preferences and the activities you will do later. Here is some information to help you choose :
- Summer (June to August): This is the high tourist season in Porto in Corsica. The temperatures are pleasantly warm, ideal for enjoying the beaches and water activities. However, it may get busier and the fares may be higher.
- Spring (March to May) and Autumn (September to November): these seasons offer mild and pleasant temperatures, ideal for exploring the surrounding nature, hiking and enjoying a calmer atmosphere. Rates may be more affordable compared to high season.
- Winter (December to February): Although temperatures are cooler, Porto in Corsica remains an attractive winter destination for those seeking tranquility and stunning scenery. There may be more frequent rainfall, but sunny days still offer great opportunities for discovery.
In summary, the ideal period for a stay in Porto in Corsica depends on your preferences in terms of temperature, tourist influx and activities. If you want to enjoy the beaches and the sun, summer is the best season. If you prefer to avoid the crowds and enjoy a pleasant climate, spring and autumn can be interesting choices.
What are the must-see places to visit in Porto in Corsica ?
During your stay in Porto in Corsica, here are some essential places to visit :
The Calanques de Piana: These spectacular rock formations offer panoramic sea views and are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Scandola Nature Reserve: Located near Porto, this nature reserve is home to exceptional flora and fauna, as well as breathtaking seascapes. You can discover it by boat or on a hike.
- The Genoese Tower of Porto: This 16th century Genoese tower overlooks the port of Porto and offers a breathtaking view of the bay. It testifies to the history of the region.
- Porto’s beaches: Enjoy the region’s magnificent fine sandy beaches, such as Porto beach, Bussaglia beach and Capo Rossu beach.
- Les Aiguilles de Bavella: Located a little further inland, the Aiguilles de Bavella offer spectacular mountainous landscapes, ideal for hiking and climbing.
- The Gorges de Spelunca: These impressive gorges offer scenic hiking trails with landscapes of mountains and rivers.
- The Gulf of Porto: Explore this UNESCO World Heritage Gulf by boat, with its rock formations, cliffs and secluded coves.
These places offer a glimpse of the natural and cultural beauty of Porto in Corsica. Don’t forget to ask about local activities, tours and hiking trails to enjoy your stay.
What are the culinary specialties in Porto ?
During your stay in Porto in Corsica, you can discover and taste different regional culinary specialties. Here are some of the specialties not to be missed :
- Seafood: Being a coastal city, Porto offers a wide variety of fresh seafood. You can taste fish such as sea bass, dentex, sea bream, as well as seafood such as langoustines, mussels and sea urchins.
- Brocciu: This is a typically Corsican fresh cheese, made from sheep’s or goat’s milk. It can be eaten plain, in savory dishes such as omelettes or pies, or sweetened with honey.
- Corsican charcuterie: The Porto region is renowned for its artisanal charcuterie. Be sure to try the lonzu (cured pork tenderloin), prisuttu (cured pork ham) and figatellu (pork liver sausage).
- Brocciu cannelloni: This traditional dish consists of fresh pasta garnished with brocciu, spinach, mint and grated cheese. It is a delicious and generous specialty.
- Le fiadone: This dessert called corse is prepared with brocciu, eggs, sugar and lemon zest. It is a soft and fragrant cake, often accompanied by a scoop of mandarin ice cream.
- Corsican wine: Corsica is also renowned for its wines. Take advantage of your stay in Porto to taste local wines such as Muscat du Cap Corse, Niellucciu or Vermentinu.
These culinary specialties allow you to discover the authentic flavors of Corsican gastronomy during your stay in Porto. Feel free to explore the restaurants
What are the best things to do in Porto ?
During your stay in Porto in Corsica, you will not miss activities to do to enjoy this beautiful region. Here are some of the best things to do:
- Explore the Calanques de Piana: Located near Porto, the Calanques de Piana offer spectacular landscapes with their red rock formations and turquoise waters. You can discover them by boat or by hiking to admire breathtaking views.
- Take a boat trip to the Scandola Reserve: Classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Scandola Nature Reserve is an exceptional site to visit. By boat, you can discover steep cliffs, sea caves and unique marine biodiversity.
- Hiking in the Regional Natural Park of Corsica: The surroundings of Porto offer magnificent hiking trails through the Regional Natural Park of Corsica. You can choose from several routes to discover the wild beauty of Corsican nature.
- Enjoy the beaches of Porto: The region has beautiful beaches where you can relax and swim. Porto Beach is ideal for sunbathing and cooling off in the crystal clear waters.
- Visit the Genoese tower of Porto: Dominating the port, the Genoese tower of Porto is a historical vestige which offers a panoramic view of the region. You can learn about the history and architecture of the tower during your visit.
- Practice water sports: Take advantage of the clear waters of Porto to practice water sports such as kayaking, scuba diving or windsurfing.
- Taste Corsican cuisine: Do not miss to taste the culinary specialties of the region. The local restaurants offer savory dishes based on fresh produce and Corsican specialties.
These activities will allow you to enjoy your stay in Porto in Corsica and discover the natural beauty of the region. Do not forget to find out about the possibilities of local activities and visits to best plan your stay.
What budget should I plan to go to Porto in Corsica ?
The budget needed for a stay in Porto in Corsica can vary depending on different factors such as travel period, length of stay, type of accommodation chosen, planned activities and personal expenses. Here are some things to consider when evaluating your budget :
- Transport: The price of plane or ferry tickets to Corsica may vary depending on the period of travel and your place of departure. It is recommended to book in advance to get the best rates. Also, if you could rent a car locally, you would also pay the rental and fuel costs.
- Accommodation: In Porto in Corsica, you will find different types of accommodation, such as campsites, hotels, vacation rentals or bed and breakfasts. Prices vary depending on the season, category and location of the establishment. It is advisable to compare prices and book in advance to get the best rates.
- Meals: Restaurants and food establishments in Porto offer a variety of dishes and prices. You can opt for more affordable restaurants or choose to cook for yourself if you opt for accommodation with an equipped kitchen.
- Activities and tours: Some activities and tours in Porto may be free, such as hiking or swimming at the beaches. However, other activities such as boat trips or water sports equipment rental may have additional costs. Budget for these activities according to your preferences.
- Personal Expenses: Remember to budget for personal expenses such as souvenirs, drinks, snacks, and possible parking fees.
It is difficult to give an exact figure for the necessary budget, as it depends on your preferences and travel style. However, on average, for a one-week stay in Porto in Corsica, a budget of around 800 to 1500 euros per person
How to get around in Corsica, in Porto ?
To get around Corsica, especially in Porto, one of the most practical options is to rent a vehicle. You can opt for a rental car so you have the freedom to move around at your own pace and explore the different regions of the island.
As a car rental company, we offer a wide range of cars to suit your needs and budget. Whether you’re looking for an economical small car, a comfortable sedan or an all-terrain vehicle to venture on the mountain roads, we have options available.
When you rent a vehicle, respect the rules of driving in Corsica and take into account the particularities of the Corsican roads, in particular the winding roads and the driving conditions in the mountains. It is also recommended that you take out adequate insurance for your rental vehicle.
If you prefer not to rent a car, there are other means of transport in Corsica, such as buses and trains. However, it should be noted that public transport may be less frequent and less flexible, especially in less touristy areas.
In summary, to move easily and enjoy your stay in Porto in Corsica, renting a vehicle is a practical and recommended option. Feel free to explore our vehicle rental offers to find the one that best suits your needs.