You are going to travel to Calenzana, we tell you everything!
Find out below everything you need to know before embarking on a trip to Calenzana in Corsica !
Good to know before going on a trip to Calenzana in Corsica
Before leaving on a trip to Calenzana in Corsica, here is some useful information to know :
- Region: Calenzana is located in Corsica, in the region of Balagne, in the northwest of the island. It is a picturesque village surrounded by magnificent mountainous landscapes.
- Access: The most common way to get to Calenzana is by air. The nearest airport is Calvi – Sainte-Catherine Airport, located about 15 kilometers from Calenzana. You can also reach Calenzana by ferry from the mainland to the port of Calvi.
- Hiking: Calenzana is the starting point of the famous GR20 hiking trail, which crosses all of Corsica. If you are into hiking, you can consider hiking part or all of this epic trail, which offers spectacular views of the mountains and surrounding nature.
- Climate: Calenzana enjoys a Mediterranean climate, with hot, dry summers and mild winters. Summer temperatures can reach around 30°C, while winter temperatures generally remain mild, around 10-15°C. It is recommended to bring light clothes for the summer and a light jacket for cooler evenings.
- Accommodation: Calenzana offers several accommodation options, including hotels, bed and breakfasts and vacation rentals. You can also find campsites in the surrounding area if you prefer a closer to nature experience.
- Activities: Besides hiking, you can enjoy the beautiful landscapes of Calenzana by mountain biking, climbing or horse riding. The region also offers beautiful beaches nearby, such as Calvi beach, where you can relax and swim.
- Culture and gastronomy: Corsica is renowned for its rich culture and its delicious gastronomy.
- Take advantage of your stay in Calenzana to discover Corsican cuisine, in particular the specialties of charcuterie, cheese and local wines.
Remember to find out about the travel conditions and sanitary measures in force before your departure, as well as to respect the local rules and preserve the natural environment of Calenzana during your stay.
How to get to Corsica and Calenzana ?
To get to Corsica and Calenzana, you have several transport options :
- Plane: The most common way to travel to Corsica is by plane. The nearest airport to Calenzana is Calvi – Sainte-Catherine airport. Many airlines serve this airport from different cities in France and Europe. Once at the airport, you can take a taxi or rent a car to reach Calenzana, which is about 15 kilometers away.
- Ferry: Another option is to take a ferry from the mainland to one of the Corsican ports, such as Bastia, Ajaccio or Calvi. From there you can drive or take a taxi to Calenzana. Ferries are available from Marseille, Nice and other cities in southern France, as well as from Italy.
- Car: If you prefer to drive, you can take the ferry from the mainland to Corsica with your own car. There are several ferry companies that provide connections between France and Corsica. There are several ferry companies that provide connections between France and Corsica. The roads are well maintained, but be prepared for winding roads in the mountains.
- The roads are well maintained, but be prepared for winding roads in the mountains. Buses connect the main Corsican cities, such as Bastia, Ajaccio and Calvi, to Calenzana. However, times may be limited, so it is advisable to check times in advance.
Once in Calenzana, you can explore the village on foot and enjoy its surroundings by car, bike or on foot, depending on your preference.
Don’t forget to check the timetables and availability of the various means of transport before your departure, as well as to take into account the health measures in force linked to Covid-19.
What is the weather like in Calenzana in Corsica ?
Calenzana, in Corsica, benefits from a warm and sunny Mediterranean climate. Here is some information about the weather in Calenzana :
- Summer (June to September): The summer months in Calenzana are generally hot and sunny, with high temperatures often reaching 28-32°C. The evenings are mild and pleasant. There is little rainfall during this period, making it an ideal season to enjoy outdoor activities.
- Autumn (October to November): Autumn in Calenzana is mild and pleasant, with temperatures gradually decreasing. Maximum temperatures can reach 20-24°C in October, but they begin to drop as the season progresses. Precipitation increases slightly during this period.
- Winter (December to February): Winters in Calenzana are mild, but can be rainy. Average temperatures are around 10-14°C, with minimum temperatures dropping to 5-8°C. Rainfall is more frequent during this period.
- Spring (March to May): Spring in Calenzana is mild and pleasant, with temperatures gradually rising. Maximum temperatures generally reach 16-20°C in March and gradually increase over the months. Precipitation decreases in spring.
It is important to note that this information is indicative and that the weather may vary from year to year. It is recommended that you consult with weather experts prior to your trip to ensure you pack the appropriate clothing and equipment for the weather conditions being used.
Where to sleep in Calenzana ?
In Calenzana, Corsica, you will find different accommodation options, including campsites that allow you to stay surrounded by nature. Here are some suggested campsites where you might consider staying:
- Aria Marina campsite: Located near Calenzana, this campsite offers pitches for tents, caravans and camper vans. Guests can enjoy peaceful and green surroundings, as well as various facilities such as swimming pools, sports courts and playgrounds.
- Camping Les Orangers: This family campsite is located a few kilometers from Calenzana, in a preserved natural environment. You can choose from shaded pitches and comfortable mobile homes. The campsite also has a swimming pool, restaurant and activities for children.
- Camping Dolce Vita: Located near Calenzana beach, this campsite offers spacious pitches for tents and motorhomes. Guests can enjoy a friendly and expansive atmosphere, as well as amenities such as a swimming pool, bar-restaurant and evening entertainment.
- Corsica campsite: Located in a natural setting in Calenzana, this campsite offers shaded pitches and comfortable bungalows. You can enjoy the swimming pool, the bar-restaurant and the activities organized by the campsite team.
It is recommended to book in advance, especially during the
When to go for a stay in Calenzana in Corsica ?
The best time to stay in Calenzana in Corsica depends on your personal preferences and the activities you want to do. Here is some information about the seasons in Corsica to help you plan your trip :
- Spring (March to May): Spring is a pleasant time to visit Calenzana. Temperatures are starting to warm up, landscapes are verdant and wildflowers are in full bloom. It is also a less touristy period, which will allow you to enjoy the tranquility of the region.
- Summer (June to August): Summer is the high tourist season in Corsica, including Calenzana. Temperatures are warm and days are sunny, making it an ideal time for outdoor activities, such as hiking. However, beaches and tourist sites may be more in demand.
- Autumn (September to November): Autumn is another pleasant time to visit Calenzana. The temperatures are still mild and the landscapes are adorned with magnificent autumn colours. It is also a period less mentioned by tourists, which will allow you to enjoy more of the tranquility of the region.
- Winter (December to February): Winter in Corsica can be mild, but also cooler and wetter. Temperatures can drop and outdoor activities are less common. However, if you are looking for a peaceful stay and want to enjoy the beauty of the region out of season, winter can be an interesting option.
In summary, the ideal time to visit Calenzana in Corsica is spring and autumn, when the temperatures are pleasant, the landscapes are magnificent and there are fewer tourists. If you prefer warmer temperatures and a summery atmosphere, summer is also a good option, but expect more crowds.
What are the must-see places to visit in Calenzana in Corsica ?
In Calenzana in Corsica, you can discover magnificent natural landscapes and enjoy many outdoor activities. Here are some essential places to visit during your stay in Calenzana :
- GR 20: Calenzana is the official starting point of the famous GR 20 hiking trail, considered one of the most beautiful and difficult in Europe. If you are a hiking enthusiast, you will be able to enjoy superb panoramas and take on this unique challenge.
- Scandola Nature Reserve: Located near Calenzana, the Scandola Nature Reserve is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You can admire spectacular maritime landscapes, steep cliffs, caves and exceptional marine fauna during a boat trip.
- Balagne beaches: A few kilometers from Calenzana, you will find magnificent fine sandy beaches along the coast of Balagne. Among the most popular are Calvi beach, Ostriconi beach and Bodri beach. Enjoy the sun, the crystal clear sea and stretch out on the Corsican coast.
- Calvi: About 15 km from Calenzana, the town of Calvi is worth a visit. Discover the citadel perched on a hill offering a panoramic view of the sea, stroll through the picturesque alleys of the old town and stretch out on the fine sandy beach.
- The Agriates Desert: Not far from Calenzana is the Agriates Desert, a vast wild and unspoilt region known for its arid landscapes, secret coves and heavenly beaches. You can get there by car or boat, and enjoy a relaxing day in a unique natural setting.
- Village of Calenzana: Don’t miss a stroll through the charming village of Calenzana itself, with its cobbled streets, historic church and authentic atmosphere. You can also discover local products and Corsican specialties in the shops and restaurants of the village.
These few suggestions will give you an overview of the must-see places to visit in Calenzana and its surroundings. Don’t forget to inquire about the opening hours.
What are the culinary specialties in Calenzana ?
In Calenzana, you can taste several Corsican culinary specialties that will delight your taste buds. Here are some of the specialties not to be missed during your stay :
- Corsican charcuterie: Corsican charcuterie is renowned for its quality and variety. Be sure to try prisuttu, lonzu, coppa and figatellu, traditional charcuterie made from local pork.
- Corsican cheeses: Corsica is also known for its artisanal cheeses. Among the most famous are brocciu, a fresh cheese made from sheep’s or goat’s milk, as well as casgiu merzu, a strong and refined cheese.
- Fiadone: Fiadone is a delicious Corsican dessert made with brocciu, eggs, sugar and lemon. It is an essential sweet specialty of the island.
- Corsican pastries: Corsican pastries are also very popular. Do not miss to taste the canistrelli, delicious crunchy biscuits with almonds, lemons or anise.
- Corsican wine: The Calenzana region is surrounded by renowned Corsican vineyards. Take advantage of your stay to taste local wines such as Niellucciu red wine, Vermentinu white wine or Sciaccarellu rosé wine.
- Corsican lamb: Corsican lamb, raised outdoors in pastures, is renowned for its tenderness and flavour. Taste the different lamb-based dishes to discover the authentic flavors of Corsican cuisine.
These culinary specialties will allow you to discover the gastronomic richness of Calenzana and Corsica. Do not miss the opportunity to taste these delicacies during your stay.
What are the best things to do in Calenzana ?
In Calenzana, you will have many activities to do to enjoy your stay in Corsica. Here are some suggestions :
- The GR20: Calenzana is the official starting point of the famous GR20 hiking trail, considered one of the most beautiful in Europe. You can undertake part of this hike and experience stunning landscapes, majestic mountains and green valleys.
- The visit of the village: Calenzana is a charming Corsican village with picturesque alleys and traditional stone houses. Stroll through its streets, discover its heritage and enjoy the historic Corsican atmosphere.
- Nearby beaches: Calenzana is close to magnificent fine sandy beaches. Go to Calvi beach, Lumio beach or Algajola beach to enjoy the sun and the turquoise sea of the Mediterranean.
- Nautical activities: Take advantage of your stay in Calenzana to practice nautical activities such as scuba diving, sailing, paddle or kayaking. The crystal clear waters of Corsica offer an ideal setting for exploring the seabed and enjoying water sports.
- Discovering the vineyards: The region of Calenzana is famous for its vineyards. Take advantage of your stay to visit local wine estates, taste Corsican wines and discover the region’s winemaking techniques.
- Bike rides: The Calenzana region offers many paths and paths suitable for cycling. Rent a bike and explore the surrounding landscapes by pedaling along the scenic roads.
These activities will allow you to enjoy your stay in Calenzana and discover the beauty of Corsican nature.
What budget should you plan to go to Calenzana in Corsica ?
The budget for a stay in Calenzana in Corsica can vary depending on several factors, such as the length of stay, the type of accommodation chosen, the activities planned and the mode of transport. Here is a general estimate of expenses to consider :
- Accommodation: Accommodation prices in Calenzana may vary depending on the type of establishment chosen. You can find campsites, bed and breakfasts and hotels in the area. Rates can vary from 30 to 150 euros per night, depending on the standard and the time of year.
- Transport: The most common way to get to Calenzana is to take a flight to Calvi-Sainte-Catherine Airport, which is about 20 kilometers from Calenzana. The price of flights may vary depending on your place of departure and the booking period. Then you can opt for renting a car to get around the area. Car rental prices in Corsica can vary depending on the duration of the rental and the type of vehicle chosen.
- Meals: Meals at restaurants in Calenzana may vary depending on the type of establishment. Plan a budget of around 20 to 40 euros per person for a meal in an average restaurant. You can also save money by cooking your own meals if you opt for accommodation with a kitchen.
- Activities: Some activities in Calenzana, such as hiking or visiting historical sites, may be free. However, if you wish to participate in organized excursions or specific activities, there will be an additional budget depending on the rates offered.
It is difficult to give an exact budget, because it depends on individual choices and preferences. It is recommended to plan an overall budget of around 100 to 150 euros per day.
How to get around in Corsica, in Calenzana ?
To get around Corsica, including Calenzana, you have several transport options available :
- Rental car: Renting a car is one of the best options for exploring Calenzana and its surroundings. You can book a rental car through our car rental company, giving you the freedom to move at your own pace and explore the sights of the area. Make sure you have a valid driver’s license and verify age and security deposit requirements with the locating company.
- Public transport: There are public transport services in Corsica, including buses and trains, which connect the main towns and villages of the island. However, it should be noted that timetables may be limited and public transport options may be less efficient in more rural areas such as Calenzana. It is recommended to check timetables and routes in advance to plan your trips.
- Taxis: Taxi services are also available in Corsica, including in Calenzana. You can book a taxi to move around locally or to travel to other destinations on the island. Be sure to book in advance, especially during peak tourist periods.
It is advisable to book a rental car if you want to explore the region in complete freedom. This will allow you to easily move between the different sights of Calenzana and enjoy the flexibility this offers. Our vehicle rental company will be able to provide you with the necessary information